Ricochet - Swiss Youth and Media Institute
A dynamic platform to promote literature.
A powerful and lively platform
To promote French-language children's literature
Ricochet is a reference website dedicated to French-speaking children's literature. It is managed by the Institut suisse Jeunesse et Médias ISJM, a non-profit public interest institution whose missions are the promotion, training, documentation and research in the fields of reading and literature for childhood and youth.
With a database that is added to daily, the website offers completely free content and is aimed at all audiences. The platform enjoys great success and a good reputation among professionals in the sector, especially booksellers. These opinions are followed and the search engine containing tens of thousands of references is in great demand.
Inovae was commissioned to migrate the website from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8. This redesign was also an opportunity to rethink the structure as well as the design of the site
Make searching and browsing easier
The main objective of the project was to create a powerful and lively platform that allows the institution to highlight the Swiss literary scene.
In terms of challenges, it is not surprising that the books database and the two related databases (authors and publishing houses) represented the main challenge. It was necessary to be able to provide access to multiple search criteria as well as a lot of technical information while maintaining a digestible and attractive display. The goal was to allow visitors to quickly find the information they were looking for through an efficient search tool and well-thought-out navigation. For this, our team worked on a meticulous design of interfaces and user journeys.
Migration of data from the old site to the new one was also a big job, as well as the management of publishing workflows, especially for volunteer reviews.
Solutions and technologies
A participatory platform to engage visitors
The website was developed in Drupal 8 with the Apache Lucene Solr open source enterprise search software platform and the Migrate module for data migration.
Many features have been developed:
- an advanced search engine that allows visitors to find references according to precise criteria: title, author, publisher, date, age, keywords, reading notices, literary prices ...
- reading reviews, critical texts issued by freelance writers to guide users in this vast production. Each reader can publish his opinion by using the button 'Votre avis sur ce livre'.
- the selection of editors which brings together the titles that have particularly attracted attention.
- a personalised experience with the possibility of creating your own bibliography with a bookmark that allows you to save and print your list of favourite books.
- author biographies and publisher histories. The site also lists the main research works on children's literature, whether it is academic work, studies or specialist publications.
- a section of articles and interviews which highlights substantive or topics related to specific fields of children's and youth literature.